In this blog post we're going to discuss the look of our 2017 video for the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation and the ways we went about achieving that look with camera, lighting and digital grading.
We knew going into this project that we wanted to shoot our interview subjects with two cameras rolling simultaneously. Doing this gave us some leeway in editing and we didn’t have to worry about jump cuts, if there was a moment when an interviewee paused during a sentence we could just cut in to the close up or pull back to the wide shot and make a seamless edit. This also makes for a more visually interesting production so you aren't locked down to only one angle per interview.
To do this we brought out our two Canon c100 cameras and placed them side-by-side on our Manfrotto tripods. A Cam was equipped with an 85mm Rokinon Cine DS lens and B Cam with a 50mm. We recorded in ProRes using our Atomos Ninja Blade and Ninja Star recorders on the cameras and matched the cameras by shooting in Wide DR mode, identical iso settings and a white balance of 4200k, this maintained a nice warm image with our tungsten lighting.
The setting was planned to be at the Hauger family home so going into this we knew we wanted to embrace that home feeling with warm tones and soft lighting. Our main key light was a soft paper lantern with a 150w bulb and we used a c stand and arm to position it close to our interviewees. The spherical shape of the lantern creates a light that wraps evenly around the face and provides a nice eye light as well. A 300w Fresnel on a dimmer with 251 diffusion gel gave our subjects a hair light while a practical placed in the background on camera left acted as a source light. A pretty simple set up that enhanced the natural feel we were hoping to achieve.
As always we exported an xml file from Final Cut Pro to DaVinci Resolve to perform our colour corrections. There are two different locations in the video: the Hauger family home and the hockey arena in Leduc.
The interviews at the home we didn’t change a lot but rather enhanced what was already there in the raw footage. We found a nice balance by adjusting contrast, giving a bit more separation in the skin tones and the bluer tones and pulling some of the yellow out of the whites.